Conventional Antifreeze is dangerous to your pets, when it is kept out of the contact of people and pets, antifreeze presents little danger. If it is carelessly installed, improperly disposed of or leaks from your automobiles or trucks cooling system, conventional antifreeze can be fatal to your pets. A study conducted among veterinarians indicates that nearly 120,000 pets are poisoned by antifreeze each year and over 90,000 of the animals die. This study confirms that conventional antifreeze is a serious threat to pets, as little as two ounces can be fatal to a dog and only one teaspoon can be fatal to a cat: two tablespoons can be hazardous to small children. The toxic ingredient that makes conventional antifreeze a danger to you and your pet is ethylene glycol. Toxicologists report that ethylene glycol antifreeze, once inside the body, is changed into a crystalline substance which attacks the kidneys. Because it is so dangerous, you should act immediately if you think your pet may have ingested conventional antifreeze. Often, by the time pet owners realize that their pet has been poisoned, it is too late. If you suspect that an animal has ingested ethylene glycol antifreeze, they should contact a veterinarian immediately. Antifreeze tastes sweet to an animal so the taste of it will not discourage your pet from ingesting it. The signs of ethylene glycol poisoning in pets includes excessive thirst, urination, lack of coordination, weakness, nausea, tremors, vomiting, rapid breathing and increased heart rate, convulsions, crystals in urine, diarrhea and paralysis. The pet will be unable to urinate in the final stage of ethylene glycol poisoning. Treatment for ethylene glycol suggested by the veterinarians at the ASPCA Bergh Memorial Animal Hospital, are to induce vomiting and getting the affected animal to a veterinarian very quickly. Veterinarians sometimes administer alcohol intravenously to inhibit the ethlene glycol from being converted to the acid that damages the kidneys. Pets often do not survive ethylene glycol poisoning. Prevention is the best antidote. Wipe up and wash away any spills of antifreeze safely. When changing your cars antifreeze keep your pets indoors. Keep new antifreeze in its original container. To store used antifreeze before disposal. put it in a sealed container, using the original containers whenever possible. Clearly label any container of antifreeze. Keep antifreeze off of the floor and away from pets. Check with local authorities regarding proper disposal methods. Make sure your vehicle has no cooling system leaks. Clean up any spill of antifreeze thoroughly and dispose of cleaning rags carefully where it is inaccessible to any of your animals. Walk your dog on a leash, bathe roaming pets if they return home covered in any substance. Free roaming pets are subject to a host of life-threatening dangers, such as traffic, predators and disease-carrying wildlife. Do Not Let Your Pet Roam At Will. If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested antifreeze rush them to a veterinarian! Do not wait for the signs of poisoning to appear. Immediate treatment is essential to prevent a painful death. Keep your veterinarians number near your phone. Remember in all poisonings, prevention is the key, this applies to all medicines, alcohol, and anything you think might hurt your animals. I would like to thank the Los Banos Volunteers For Animals for supplying me with most of this information.
Remember to spay and neuter your pets.
FYI: Keep away from strange dogs, never run from a dog and scream, always protect your face, neck and arms, never stare at a strange dog, if you are knocked down by a dog roll into a ball and lie very still.
Tags: Your Animals